Friday, May 25, 2007


WARNING: This blog entry was imported from my old blog on (which used different blogging software), so formatting and links may not be correct.

Updated Monday May 28: The machine is back up and running (and much faster than before). You can grab up to date builds from the old location again (and the wik installationi page points back to it again). The latest builds have both a fix for the RHTML problem as well as support for encoding properties on projects, so the old file.encoding=UTF-8 system property workaround should no longer be necessary.

The machine, which I've been pointing to regularly as the best place to get up to date builds of the Ruby support, is off-line. It is being replaced by a brand new machine, much faster and more reliable, and should be back up on-line on Monday (May 28th).

Apologies to those of you relying on for regular updates. The service should be getting a lot better from now on. The reason it's taking several days to perform the migration is that this is a volunteer-driven effort, so there's a bit of cooperation necessary to get the machine picked up at the ISP, the disks mirrored over to the new machine and the machine taken back in to the ISP and get back up and running.

In the meantime, I've set up a temporary location where you can get up to date bits. The instructions and URL will be kept up to date on this wiki page.


  1. Hi Tor,

    I decided to switch over and use the Ruby only IDE, and created a Wiki page to help people who fancy using it more comfortably on OSX

  2. Thanks for fixing the nbrubyide dock icon issue. worked like a charm when I updated, and I've amended the RubyNetBeansOSX Wiki page to reflect that.

    I'll be sure to check out the UTF-8 support!

  3. FYI - the machine is back up and running now...

  4. Hi Si, I've rolled your instructions into a build script running on the build server, so there's an OSX-specific zip you can download now which should contain an OSX bundle that can be run directly (build #1366 and later -

  5. The OSX build is great chaps. But...
    By setting the runnable app in the info.plist to 'executable' and sym linking to that, it saves preferences and the line to ~/Library/Application Support/executable.
    Probably want to change it to nbrubyide, so that it can derive $(APPNAME) (as used in the .conf file) propertly.

  6. That's true, good spot. I'll update the Wiki page, and thanks for the comment!