Thursday, March 25, 2010

IDE tips

WARNING: This blog entry was imported from my old blog on blogs.sun.com (which used different blogging software), so formatting and links may not be correct.


One of the sessions we had at the Roundup was one entitled "IDE tips and tricks". We basically sat there with our laptops and did a show & tell of various "hidden" IDE features we knew about to help productivity. There were Eclipse, IntelliJ and NetBeans users there - and even some advocacy for Vim :) We discovered pretty quickly that this would not make for compelling listening, so we just turned off the recorder.



One thing I discovered (and which I saw during our languages coding dojo day as well) is that a lot of people don't use many of the productivity boosters. Therefore, I thought I'd bring some of these up here. Since I've been intending to start blogging more again, I'll make this a regular "column".



To kick things off, I'll just point to an old blog entry which is still relevant: Hippie Completion. Learn to use Ctrl-K while editing, it will be worth your while. (Eclipse has this too as of Eclipse 3.1; I believe it's bound to Alt-/).


No comments:

Post a Comment